Tuesday, July 10, 2012

“God’s Grace for the Weak”



                A Sunday school teacher explained that God never tempts us; we’re tempted by our own sinful nature. But, God does test us to make us realize our need for Him. “Any questions?” asked the teacher. “Yes,” said an 8th grade boy. “I know God tests us only to strengthen our faith, but I still think sometimes He overdoes it.”
                  This is what the Apostle Paul was talking about in 2 Corinthians 12:7–9 where he writes, 7So to keep me from being too elated by the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated. 8Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” 
                The purpose of testing is so that we may realize the power of God to save isn’t found in huge displays of majesty, but hidden in a weak man dying on a cross. Jesus humbled himself even to death on a cross to redeem us, and for that reason He’s been exalted and given the name above all others. We need to rely on Him, not ourselves. God’s answer to Paul’s cry for help was, “My grace is all you need; for my power is strongest when you are weak.”
                In a science laboratory a young student was examining a cocoon inside which a butterfly was straining to get free. In compassion he took a razor blade and cut open the cocoon walls so it could be released. But to his dismay, he didn’t see what he’d envisioned—a creature with colorful wings ready to soar. Instead, he saw an ugly bug, unable to walk & fly. The butterfly-to-be died. It had been freed too soon. It hadn’t yet developed enough through struggle and growth to be ready for its first flight.  When walls close in on you, when you struggle to be free and ask God to end your agony, are you ready? Do you question the value of testing? Doesn’t God in His wisdom know what He’s doing in your life? (Acts 14:22.)
                God promises His grace. Through His Word and Sacraments He sustains our faith and supplies His strength to meet our daily trials. The means of grace may look ordinary, but the joyful paradox is that God promises to give through them the forgiveness of sins, life, salvation, a peace that passes understanding, and everlasting life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment