Tuesday, June 30, 2020

“Fear Not!” Isaiah 41.8-10 & John 14.1-6, Beverly Buchholtz Funeral June ‘20



1.                Grace, mercy and peace to you from God our Heavenly Father and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  At a time of grieving like this, those who are present and I on behalf of this congregation, offer your family and all who were close to Beverly my deepest sympathy.  May our Lord who knows your needs, comfort and give you strength and faith to uphold each another.  Today we’re going to look at two sections of Scripture from Isaiah 41:8-10 and John 14:1-6, where God our Heavenly Father and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ tell us to “Fear Not!”  In the face of sin, death, and the power of the Devil, we as Christians have nothing to fear, for Jesus our Good Shepherd is with us, just as He began watching over Beverly in her baptism on November 6th, 1932 and led her to confess with her lips that Jesus Christ is Lord on the day of her Confirmation on May 19th, 1946.  The message is entitled, “Fear Not,” dear brothers and sisters in Christ. 
2.                The family has many memories of Beverly.  Where Beverly grew up on Shaky Lake Road between Dale and Reedfield, their farm was on a high hill.  So, one thing unique about her childhood was that in the winter, she would often ride her sled down the hill to Hickory Grove School.  In High School Beverly was very good at shorthand and typing and after graduation she worked at AAL on the 4th floor of the 222 Building in downtown Appleton.  In the early 1950s her salary at AAL was $125 a month and she shared an apartment in Appleton.
3.                But, Beverly gave it all up to be with her beloved husband Bob and enjoy West Bloomfield for the rest of her life.  Beverly would again put her typing skills to work as she assisted Bob with the Secretary-Treasurer duties of the local chapter of AAL Branch 1109 here at Christ Lutheran West Bloomfield.  She would type up all the invites for the AAL insurance policy holders and their families, for the yearly summer picnic, and wrap all the bingo prizes and other gifts for the kids.  She would also organize the annual meeting and luncheon held in November and bring all the prizes for the drawing.  Everyone waited with anticipation, as to who the top two lucky people would be to win the Butterball Turkeys.  But, everybody got at least one prize, even if it was just a pound of cheese.
4.                But, most notably the Buchholtz family remembers, all the effort and paperwork Beverly put in to apply for and maximize the matching funds available through AAL and fundraisers to benefit those in need or someone with cancer.  Also, many local emergency and fire departments, libraries, non-profits and our own Church and School received donations through these volunteer projects.  Beverly did that for 35 years and was happy to serve the Lord Jesus and His Church and her fellow neighbor in Christian love.
5.                The Lord says through the Prophet in Isaiah 41:8–10—8But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, my friend; 9you whom I took from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest corners, saying to you, “You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off”; 10fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.  Isaiah shifts our attention away from the unbelieving world to God’s people, “But you …” God’s people also saw what the nations saw. They noted the victories of their conqueror and, no doubt, were  filled with fear. But God desired to comfort His people and addressed them in the most tender way. God called His people, “Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham my friend.”  It is these words we need to hear and remember today as we mourn Beverly’s death.  For God has called Beverly and us too, to be His chosen people, His friends, through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
6.                Each of these terms is important. When God calls His people “Israel” and “Jacob,” He takes them back to their origins. God’s people became known as Israel, the name God gave Jacob when He reissued his promises to Jacob at the Jabbok River, when He wrestled with Jacob (Genesis 32:22–30). This special nation had become God’s special servant because of God’s choice. From the very beginning, God had special plans for this nation. Jesus our Messiah would come into the world through them. God describes the nation as the “descendants of Abraham my friend.” That designation took these people back even further to the very father of the nation. Abraham was God’s special and close friend.
7.                So, no matter what these people saw in the world, they were to remember God’s grace toward them. And it was grace. Personally, Abraham was no better than any other ancient man.  He was a sinner just like everyone else. He was great because God chose him. God made him the father of believers. These verses so clearly indicate that God actively made these people His own. “I took you.… I called you. I said … ‘I have chosen you and have not rejected you.’” All this emphasizes God’s grace, undeserved and free, toward sinful and fearful humans.
8.                Verse 10 piles comfort upon comfort. It begins with words we so frequently hear in the Scriptures: “Do not fear.” As God’s people endured their captivity, being taken to a foreign land, they could easily worry. God casts out their fear with the promise that He is with them and is their God, that is, He is next to them and pledges to remain with them as a powerful source of help.
9.                Through the Prophet Isaiah, God says He will do all this with His “righteous right hand.” God’s powerful hand is righteous. Righteous means, “right, correct, straight, appropriate, and proper.” In righteousness God had determined to bring about the deliverance of all humanity from sin, death, and hell. He had promised to do so and would remain faithful to all those promises. God’s people could depend on His righteousness to do what was necessary to fulfill all His promises. On the other hand, those who don’t know the Lord can expect quite another thing from His righteous right hand. For them God’s righteousness will bring judgment and punishment.
10.             The terms of these verses, of course, apply to God’s Old Testament people, but they also apply to God’s people of all time. All believers are descendants of Abraham by virtue of their faith in the God of Abraham. When God directed Abraham to look up to the stars and count the great number of his descendants, God had more in mind than the little nation of Israel. He had all believers in mind, God had you and Beverly in mind, as the apostle Paul says so clearly, “Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham” (Galatians 3:7).
11.             Jesus our Messiah is the fulfillment of God the Father’s promises to Abraham.  In John 14:1-6, Christ our Lord says, “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4And you know the way to where I am going.” 5Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
12.             It was going to be a night of doubt and despair for the Twelve. It was the night of Jesus’ betrayal and trial and sentence of death. Before 24 hours had passed, Jesus would be crucified, dead and buried. They would wonder if they could still think of Him as Savior, whether God was still their loving Father.
13.             They had been so secure in Jesus’ company while He taught the crowds and healed the sick and raised the dead. But before morning they would see Him arrested and humiliated. To prepare them for that terrible experience which would tempt them to despair, Jesus said: “Trust in God; trust also in me.” My Father can be trusted. He has always proved himself to be trustworthy, just as He did for Abraham. Jesus says, “I can be trusted.” Place your confidence in me and don’t let panic rob your hearts of faith.  As Beverly’s Pastor, I can assure you that she placed her trust in Jesus as her Lord and Savior.
14.             There are things in our future which we can’t foresee. But we know from the Word of God and from human experience that our lives can change so quickly.  Just like it has done during this Covid-19 Pandemic. Today prosperous and secure, tomorrow unemployed. Today cheerful and content, tomorrow broken and weak. Today confident in the loving concern of our Savior, tomorrow wondering whether God still cares.
15.             Jesus tells us, “Don’t leap to any false conclusions about Me and My concern for you. I cared enough to join the human race when I could have just continued in My majesty forever. I suffered for the human race through My death on the cross for you for the forgiveness of your sins, suffered more than you will ever suffer. I did my Father’s will and finished My Father’s work. I carried out His plan for your salvation as your Representative before His bar of justice.”
16.             God the Father was pleased to raise Jesus from the dead to demonstrate that His justice is satisfied, and you are forgiven. Jesus says, see My hands and My side, My empty tomb. Can you doubt My good will? “You trust in God; trust also in me.” The important thing to remember here is that Jesus is strong and loving. We quickly find out how weak our faith is. But our God is strong. It’s not that we’re so good at trusting, but that He’s trustworthy. Where shall we find confidence for the future? In Jesus’ cross, in His empty grave.  Because Jesus lives, we too shall live and have eternal life in His name.  He has done that for Beverly, He has done that for you.  Fear not!  Amen.  The peace of God that passes all understanding guard your hearts and minds in Christ until life everlasting.  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment